Tuesday, January 2, 2007

I'm not as young as I used to be



Friday night I went to a friend's house to watch a fight on pay per view while Robyn was in Louisianna babysitting Streed and Ella. On the way to my friend's house Rob told me numerous times not to do anything stupid. Turns out that this was really good advice that I should have listened to.

After the fight was over we were all talking outside and one of the guys, who had heard that I used to be able to jump over a car, told me that he wanted to see me do it. I was a little rusty since I hadn't done this in almost 5 years so I decided to jump over his garbage can as a warmup. This was a city issued roll-out garbage can that is about 4 feet tall and a couple of feet wide. I felt confident that I could do this for 2 reasons: 1) I've done it before 2) I'm stupid. So I give myself some running room, then run towards it, mustering up the courage to jump as I approached it. I get a few feet away from the can and I jump...and my left toe catches the lid of the can. I did actaully make it over the can, but not the way I envisioned it. I did a ninja roll in the air so that I didn't land on my face but I ended up landing square on my right elbow. I popped right back to my feet and told my friends that I was ok. They immediately began to try to talk me in to jumping it again. As I contemplated this I realized that my elbow was starting to hurt. I thought that I had only pulled a muscle since I didn't feel a pop when I hit the ground. Over the next several minutes the pain increased and I had difficulty straightening my arm. I decided to make the hour drive back home in the pouring rain, the whole time trying to figure out how I was going to tell Robyn the next morning.

Long story short, I broke the radial neck of my right arm (I'm right-handed, by the way) and am in a splint until further notice.

What I learned from this ordeal: I'm not as young as I used to be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny, but Matt also wondered if you realized you were getting too old to be jumping over things. But he has gray hair and I don't listen to him!! :)

Anonymous said...

Next time listen to Rob!
Your mother

Anonymous said...

Poor Uncle Nick. Get well soon. Mom ("G")