Friday, January 29, 2010

Robyn's Thoughts on the Renovation...

It's Day 5 of the reno and the guys have gotten lots done. I'll have Nick post some more pictures later. Joe, our contractor, estimates about 3 more weeks until completion, which seems so soon. I won't hold my breath, though. I've watched enough shows on HGTV and DIY to know that there may be a few unexpected issues come up...but I hope not too many. :)

Ok, on to my thoughts. Let me first say that we are thankful to the Lord for enabling us to do this renovation! It is something we've been thinking about and talking about for about 2 years. Actually, probably over 2 years, even before we moved into this house. In case you're new to this blog or just forgot, we bought this house from my step-grandmother, and thanks to my step-mom and her siblings, were given a great deal! We knew that there was work to do on the house and some things we wanted to change sooner or later. Some things we changed right away and now we are thrilled to be renovating the master bathroom, closet and laundry room. The bathroom was tiny and had some pretty serious plumbing issues, the closet was tiny and could only hold Nick's clothes, and the laundry room was unfinished (as in you could see into the ceiling rafters and some parts of the wall...creepy) and couldn't be accessed from inside the house. Though we were thankful to even have these rooms in the first place, we knew they could be improved. Sooo, that's how we got where we are today! This project makes me feel like a grown up. Most of the time I don't really feel like a grown-up, eventhough I'll be 30 this June, but doing this project makes me feel like one.

I'm sure we'll learn lots of lessons during this whole process. And in case you don't know me that well, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and a regretter. This isn't a good combination, especially when doing a renovation. In the end there might be a thing or two that I wish I'd done differently, but I pray I'll have a thankful heart and see how wonderful it is even if it's not perfect. We'll keep you posted on the progress. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep praying your way through this and it'll be alright. :)

Anonymous said...

So happy y'all are able to do this. You mean being Taylor's mom has not made you feel grown up? I can't believe it has been almost 2 years since y'all moved in and were doing things before you actually moved in. You, Nick, Poppy and your church friends have already done so much. With any house there will always be "stuff" that needs to be done. It's just the way it is. Love you all, Gran

Anonymous said...

don't be fooled into thinking turning 30 makes you feel like a grown-up...there are many days I have to recall my age...and then remember I'm 30. well...I guess then I do feel old. oh well. schucks. :)

Jennifer said...

I hope the renovation goes well. I enjoy seeing the updates!

I remember when we completely remodeled our home from the inside out. Very stressful, but very rewarding. I didn't feel very grown up either, but then again, I as only 21 at the time. :-)