Thursday, August 27, 2009

Taylor's 1st Dentist Appointment

Taylor had her first ever dentist appointment today and I am thankful to say that she could not have done better! Yay! What an answer to prayer. The hygienist who called her back tried to talk me into letting Taylor go back by herself but I quickly nipped that in the bud. I mean, really, she's ONLY 2 and it's her first ever appt and she's never seen anyone in that office...EVER. I'm sure she meant well when she said they like for them (the patients) to get used to going back their by themselves, but I think there is plenty of time for that thankyouverymuch!
I packed one of her babydolls, Abby, in her diaper bag in hopes of Abby comforting Taylor. My other thought was that maybe Abby could get her teeth "cleaned" first so Tay could see what it was all about. And that's just what happened. All of the hygienists were very nice, as was her Dentist. I didn't get a picture of the Dentist examining her teeth, but took several of the actual cleaning.
At Taylor's 2 Year Check-up the pediatrician gave me a list of Pediatric Dentists that their group refers to and I'm glad she did. So far I'm happy with my choice. My main reason for taking her was to have the dentist take a look at her frenulum - that's the piece of tissue that connects the inside of your top lip to your gums. Since birth Taylor's has been very thick and connects very low on her gum line, but the pediatrician has never seemed concerned...and believe me I've asked her about it several times. So at her last appt. I asked her to take a look at it again because it hasn't changed any and she suggested going ahead to the dentist. The dentist and pediatrician said the same thing - years ago it was common to perform a frenulectomy (clipping of the frenulum) but since then they've changed their tune and now think it causes more harm than good. Sooo, she said we'll just leave it alone and watch it. She also said that we need to get her to quit sucking her thumb because it's pushing her teeth out. This is no news to me as I see her teeth every day. Thankfully she only sucks it when she's sleeping or tired, not all the time. However, I still don't think it's going to be an easy task, but the dentist said it should be easier than if she sucked it all the time. Looks like it's time for me to look into different ways of stopping thumb sucking. Too bad she doesn't just use a paci...then I could just take it away. Not the case with the ole thumb.
Ok, enough of the details, here are some pictures. Check out the nerve of this child sucking her thumb while laying in the dentist chair! And in the last picture she's showing you her stickers and one of the goodies from her prize bag.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it was a good experience for both of you. The pictures are great. I looked on the internet at some thumbsucking preventions and there is one called Thumbuddy Loves You; a thumbuddy or puppet worn on your thumb. Don't know how that works exactly; have to purchase it to find out. Anyway, I can just picture Taylor playing hygenist with her dolls. Gran

Kayleigh and Brian said...

Awww!!! I've thought of taking Kayleigh to the dentist and even got a list of names, but I haven't bitten the bullet and done it yet. You are the second person I know that has taken a two year old to the dentist, so I guess it's not too early to start with Kayleigh.
I'm so glad Taylor had a good visit and everyone was nice AND let you take pictures!

Kayleigh and Brian said...

I just saw Taylor's dress. How cute!!

Matthew and Valerie said...

I'm so proud of Taylor! What a brave girl she is. I hope this is just the first of many good visits to the dentist.

Donna said...

She looks ADORABLE! P.S. Marky had an "open bite" (i.e. his front top and bottom teeth didn't touch when he bit down) b/c of his pacifier and when we stopped using it (at 3rd birthday)- they came back together within two months. Teeth are resiliant.

danielle said...

That is great. I always wondered when you are supposed to take them to the dentist. And Robyn-where did you get that cute dress? It is adorable! LOL-you probably don't remember but I gave that to you at your baby shower for Taylor. I can't believe it just now fits her! Anyways, it is cute.

Ryan said...

Glad it went good for ya'll! I have been wondering when I need to take Garrison for his first visit- I must say I am a little bit more than nervous about it!
Taylor is a cutie in her little dress!!!

Loretta John said...

The first dental visit is very important since it gives an assessment of the current dental condition of the child. It's great that Taylor is very cooperative during the cleaning process. I actually take my son every month to visit one of the dentists in Bartlett. We started when he was 2 years old. Right now, he is very comfortable with his dentist and he never had qualms about the dental procedures administered to him.

Good luck with your future visits!