Friday, January 9, 2009

Friday Morning Fiasco

You will not believe what happened at the Villacampa house this morning! Before I tell you, let me set the stage. It was sometime after 7:30 a.m., Taylor was awake, Nick had gotten up and was pouring Taylor's milk, and I'm still laying in bed mostly awake. I hear an unidentifiable noise, then I hear Nick say, "Oh crap, Robyn come here quick!" My first thought was there is some type of animal in our house! As I am jumping out of bed at lightening speed I ask, "What is it?" to which he replies, "It's a squirrel!" Yep, a squirrel! Do you know how crazy those things are? I mean, I am an Alpha Gam, and I'm the only squirrel that should be in my house! Back to setting the stage. I am laughing as I type this because I know we looked hilarious! So I run to the den, then I tell Nick I have to go find my glasses (this is one of the MANY times I wish I had Lasik surgery, or better yet naturally perfect eyesight), then I look in the usual places that I leave them only to find no glasses. So I go back to the den to try and "help" Nick in my blindness and we watch this squirrel run around, scurry up blinds and then jump off, then run up my ficus tree and try to run up the mantel, then run over to the love seat (yes, I will be saturating it with Lysol), and finally run out the back door with the help of Nick corralling it. It was absolutely unbelievable to say the least. And in case you're wondering how it got in...the chimney. Nick forgot to close the damper last time we used it, which has been quite some time ago might I add! Then he tells me, "I was just thinking yesterday that I might have left the damper open." He also said that he was thinking just a few days ago that he needs to put some screening on the top of the chimney. I must say I have to agree. Can you imagine if that happened when Taylor and I were here by ourselves? I'm pretty sure I would have wet my pants...and then called my dear neighbors to come help me. And Nick is now out of town, so I'll probably be having nightmares about being attacked by a squirrel. Maybe I'll sleep in Taylor's crib with her. :)

P.S. Please pray for Nick's safety as he travels this weekend.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness! I'm so glad everyone is okay! Prayers are going up for Nick's safe travel. Gran

Parks Avenue said...

That is just flippin' hilarious! I almost peed my pants because I was laughing so hard! Also, priceless that it was a squirrel and you're an Alpha Gam. It was like...destiny!
We'll be praying for Nick's safety this weekend!

Bragans said...

I can't quit laughing. Only you would have a squirrel get in your chimney and then choose to leave his mark by jumping all over your furniture. Only you could come up with the only squirrel in this house, is me, since I am an Alpha Gam. Cracking up!

holly said...

THAT is too funny! I guess since you ARE a squirrel, all squirrels feel welcome in your home.

katie said...

oh my gosh... hilarious. y'all have the BEST house stories :) wish i could have been there. that poor little squirrel was just comin' to see a sista! :) got your sweet message - call ya back tomorrow when dumb minutes are free! story of my life...

Matthew and Valerie said...

I'm impressed you didn't run back into your room and close the door!

Melanie said...

Uggghh, well we have a mouse..we tried the "humane" traps be he or she is evading us. I mean I love animals but I love my daughter more and I don't want a mouse any where near her. Guess we will have to take other measures. Glad y'all got it out of the house.

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Hilarious!
Skirios is a swift and crafty squirrel. I think he's found a new home. So glad you're okay! And we'll say a prayer for Nick (and you and Taylor that another squirrel doesn't come visit while he's away!).

Amy said...

Too funny! That post has some great mental pics!

Anonymous said...

that is awesome!!! what a great story!! ;) at least you weren't asleep and felt one crawling on you!! oops...did i creep you out now? i'm sure you're going to be sleeping with one eye open! i think the crib idea is a good one!

Matt, Carrie, Lucy and Molly Allen said...

this story is too funny! i asked nick about it at the wedding...we had a good time and wished you were there...hope the travel home for nick went well!
carrie

JD and Danielle said...

That is great. Too bad you still didn't have your Christmas tree up or it could have turned into Christmas Vacation!