Saturday, May 10, 2008

Uh-oh




We had a bit of an accident at the house today (although it was more like a freak incident). I (Nick) was painting the crown moulding in the den and I had to use a ladder to reach it. When I got finished with one section I left the 3/4 full paint can on top of the ladder (use your imagination as to where the story goes next) because I had to climb down so I could move the ladder a few feet forward. However, there were a few things in the way of the ladder so I had to move them and that apparently completely took my concentration off what I had just done. So after moving the things out of the way I proceeded to pull the ladder towards me. The ladder hadn't moved a few inches when I hear a loud thud. I look up and I see little globs of paint flying through the air. It then occurs to me that there was a can of paint on top of the ladder. Long story short, in about a second everything in the den that was within 20 feet of the launch site looked like it had been splatter painted. And I mean everything, as you can tell by the pictures.

Here's a brief list of what got hit: the kitchen table, every single thing on the table, my phone, Robyn's phone, the camera, several of Taylor's toys, the couch, the loveseat, the coffee table, the ceiling, the chandelier, the rug, all the pillows, the exersaucer, and the high chair. We were able to get all the spots off the couch, but the $100 love seat didn't share the same fate--it's got a slipcover in its future. We also got a good bit of paint on the brick wall so we'll try to get that off tomorrow.

It took us close to an hour to clean up the majority of the mess, but we haven't even started to clean several things. All in all we took it well--I couldn't stop saying "I can't believe that just happened" and Robyn took it in stride and started cleaning without complaining.

We're very thankful that:
1. Taylor wasn't in the room -- we had put her down for a nap not 5 minutes earlier
2. Our new carpet wasn't installed yet -- we get new carpet put in this Monday and it would have been ruined if it was installed earlier in the week.
3. We don't love our "stuff" -- we take good care of what we have but there are much more important things than our possessions

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like a few things just have a new design to them, thats all.

Anonymous said...

can't beat unique designs!

Matthew and Valerie said...

I can think of 2 people in that house that are glad it didn't happen to them! I just figure the next owners of our house are going to love or fix all of my painting mistakes!

Kayleigh and Brian said...

I'm so sorry about what happened! I don't even know what I would have done in that situation--probably just sat down and cried. I don't think I would have handled it as well as you all did!

Melanie said...

Yuck...but of course it goes with the territory and anyone making improvements on a house. Sounds like y'all took it in stride though. Good job!
Love,
mel