Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Our New Home




Here we are at "our new" house. This picture was taken as we arrived home after closing. I put our and new in quotations because 1.) the house is not really ours until the year 2038 or until we pay off the loan and 2.) it was built in the 50's and isn't new at all. Doesn't 2038 sound like some unrealistic space-age year, like it should flash on the screen at the beginning of some Sci-Fi movie? It's crazy how much more you would actually pay if you keep your house for the full life of the loan - I didn't really pay attention to the number but I'm quite sure it was more than twice what we bought the house for...YIKES! We have been quite busy over the past couple of months with the many projects we have going on and unfortunately there is no end in sight! From watching the many house flipping/do-it-yourself/makeover shows on TLC, HGTV, A&E, etc. I (Robyn) was fully expecting a.) our projects to take longer than expected, and b.) to run into many roadblocks along the way. I was right about both things. Daddy said the other day that the Lord is teaching us patience and I think he's right. I also think I'm supposed to be learning that things don't have to be perfect all the time. For those of you who know me well, you know that in some areas I am a perfectionist. This house is not perfect. Most, if not all, of the projects we have completed so far are not perfect. I have a little book that I bought (or it may have been given to me) years ago titled "The Art of Imperfection". If only I could embrace it! I will say that I am slowly, very slowly, learning to accept some imperfection. Perhaps this little life lesson is not so little at all and will teach me much about my perfect and holy God and remind me over and over again of just how imperfect I am! Ok, the many boxes are screaming loudly for me to unpack them.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

You will get it where you want it...I promise...but unfortunately it will never end when you own a house! There will come a day though when you say..wow I am really happy here!
Love,
Mel

annieck said...

CONGRATULATIONS on your "new to you" home!!! :) I'm sure you'll make many wonderful memories there!

Anonymous said...

I know you have lots more to do, but you have to think about just how much you have already done! You guys have been working so hard for weeks and weeks. We'll help however we can when we can. Love, Gran

--Shelley said...

And I'm proud to be an American...