Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Music to my ears


As I walked into Taylor's room at 2:45 a.m. to feed her I heard a smacking/sucking sound and this is what I saw. Yep, she found her thumb. And yes, I ran to get the camera at that razy hour. This isn't the first time she has attempted to suck her thumb/fingers, but it made me happy because this time it was not accompanied by screaming. Some may disagree with thumb-sucking and opt for a pacifier instead as "you can take away a pacifier, but not her thumb/fingers". And some may opt for nothing at all. I, however, will take anything that calms her and helps her sleep. She does use a pacifier but doesn't have control of it yet and can't put it back in her mouth when she loses it, so that makes for some frustrating times for us all. And for all you Baby Whisperer folks out there who are thinking that I should not be using a "prop" to help her sleep...oh well, desparate times call for desparate measures. In a few years I may be wishing we'd never given her the pacifier or allowed her to suck her thumb, but for now it works and now is where I live ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!

Amy

Anonymous said...

Amy is right. Amen. Taylor is yours and you have to do what is best for everyone in your home. A newborn baby does not need to scream if there is anything mom and dad can do. Y'all are doing great! G

Melanie said...

Kaitlyn is a thumb sucker and I am so glad she can self sooth and not scream her head off! I say yay for thumbs.

Anonymous said...

She's a cute little thumb sucker. Other people can say what they want, but they aren't raising your daughter. Plus you'll have lots of cute pictures of her with her thumb! :)
~Valerie

Anonymous said...

Lisa was a thumb sucker so she was always quiet when she woke up. (self-soothing is a new word to me) Valerie was NOT a thumb sucker so she liked to yell when she woke up. Maybe she liked the idea of making me race down the hall before the boys woke up too. Now, let's see...who would you prefer??? For those of you who don't know, Lisa and Valerie are our twins. :) You do whatever works for you. I think it's pretty cute.

Bragans said...

I love it! So glad that she has found her thumb so maybe you can get some rest! You and Nick are the best parents for Taylor. God has given her to you guys! Enjoy it!

Love

Joy

Kayleigh and Brian said...

What a great baby I was!!! :) Just don't always ask her what flavor it is and if you can have a taste. She'll get tired of it, trust me!!! :)
Kayleigh's a finger sucker, too, so we'll just have the same issues!